ant-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: antlib
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:44:57 GMT
On Thursday, April 24, 2003, at 02:23  PM, Costin Manolache wrote:
> Erik Hatcher wrote:
>
>> We don't really need to get hung up on the syntax of a descriptor at
>> this stage.  Let's get something working in HEAD and work with it.
>> XDoclet can be used to generate these descriptors anyway, and it
>> likely
>> be considered the best practice way to do it anyway.
>
> I think the syntax of the descriptor is pretty important.

Obviously I disagree, but not terribly strongly.

>> This is where I differ.  I like what I've heard so far, but I really
>> don't like the total looseness of Ant build files, and I don't think
>> we
>> should propagate that same scheme.  I understand how it evolved and
>> that ease of use was one of the primary factors for Ant's looseness,
>> not to mention that it was around before namespaces were really
>> solidified.
>
> The "looseness" is pretty fundamental in ant, and at least IMO
> is one of the reasons it works so well.

My take is that since we are using XML for build file syntax that we
should embrace all of the features of XML like namespaces and schemas.
Currently we are playing fast and loose with it and tools are not
typically happy with build.xml files.  I know in my build file IDEA
hilites tons of "errors" (that are not really errors).  You are
proposing that we use Java's standard MANIFEST features, but why not
stick to standard XML features like a schema?

Don't get me wrong though - I think its quite cool that Ant is as
extensible as it is and I've learned a lot of cool things with
reflection and how it plays with the build file format thanks to
working with Ant.  I'm the one that added the DyanmicConfigurator - so
I can be blamed for making schema compliance even more impossible to
obtain.

>> Again, lets not get hung up on the descriptor syntax.  Working
>> implementation first - then we can debate the details.  We can make it
>> the defining goal for an Ant 1.6 release when all the fiddly details
>> have been ironed out!  :)
>
> We have had working implementation(s) for quite a while.

But the current one does not support adding other components like
conditions, mappers, filters, and selectors.

	Erik