ant-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Backward incompatible change in <war> task?
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:11:22 GMT
Hi there,

probably some of you are already aware of this problem since I posted
about it on the Gump ML. I've never been a power ant user, and I never
participated in the ant development process so please forgive me if this
discussion has been already done in the past (apart from
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=105077339807455&w=2 I was
unable to find a particular reference to that).

In short, our beloved friend Gump found while building Xindice what I'd
label as a backward incompatible change in the <war> task. In
Xindice-land we are using the war task together with a <lib> subtask
that points (refid) to a fileset:

       <war
destfile="${dist.dir}/${project.filename}-${project.version}.war"
            update="false"
            webxml="config/web.xml">
          <classes dir="${src.build.dir}"/>
          <webinf dir="config">
             <include name="system.xml"/>
          </webinf>
          <lib refid="core.jars" />

where core.jars is defined as a plain fileset in the <project> section.
Needless to say, this label is used elsewhere in the file so having it
as a refid makes it more mantainable for us: I don't consider a real
option to expand it inside the war target.

Unfortunately the Ant CVS version seems to accept only zipfilesets as
the argument to the lib element:

/home/rubys/jakarta/xml-xindice/build.xml:336: core.jars doesn't denote
a zipfileset

This is not easy to fix, since in turn the stable (released) version of
Ant (up to 1.5.3) doesn't allow for <zipfileset> in the project section.
   So we're bitten by a chicken and egg problem, since we should either
ship the CVS version of Ant or just forget about it and let our Gump
builds fail. I don't like either option, so I'm wondering if there is a
solution I'm missing (again, I'm not an Ant guru at all), a reason for
this particular backward incompatible change, or a chance to see it
corrected in Ant CVS: my take is that not only Xindice will be bitten by
this.

TIA,

--
Gianugo Rabellino