ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: antlib
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2003 11:40:53 GMT

Stefan Bodewig wrote, On 22/04/2003 12.40:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>Versioning,
>
> Has to be part of <antlib> anyway.

And that is why I suggested this. Why reimplement something that is
already there and has been proposed to be donated to Ant?

>>'auto' download.
>
> and this is where <uptodate> and <get> kick in.

I don't get it. Do <uptodate> and <get> download to a centralized
repository? Do they use other mechanisms other than http? Are they
integrated in antlib? DO they enable the usage of a moniker to get the
antlib instead of a full URL?

Yes, get and uptodate are a poor man's repository manager.

>>Users would not need to know phisical locations, and have a central
>>antlib repository in the Ant distro, not downloads to ad-hoc places.
>
> There still are quite different solutions to this.
>
> The Maven style repositories plus Ruper is one solution.  It would be
> rather easy to build one on top of RPM using the work the jpackage
> people have done.  No adhoc places either - and you get the repository
> database for free.
>
> I'm not suggesting anything here, I want to point out that there are
> options to solve these issues that are not Ruper.

As always, there are bazillions of solutions to the tasks. Ruper is
something that is proposed for donation to Ant as a download mechanism.

The repository and metadata are *not* fixed.
They should change as needed by Apache and Ant, so proposals in this
sense are welcome.

  repository-subscribe@apache.org

;->

Why is Ant included in many CVS modules? Because it does not have a
standard and easy way of getting jars.

Why do users have to mess with the ant lib dir to put extensions?
Because it does not have a standard and easy way of getting jars.

Why is Gump difficult to set up? Also because you have to get installed
packages. I will use Ruper for that.

>>So I would reuse the same antllib for all projects that need it, not
>>have it downloaded and called ad.hoc for every project.
>
> But this is a separate step to me.  The first step is to get the basic
> concept clear and implemented.  Users should be able to share the same
> Ant lib by pointing their build files to the correct locations.

That's why I agree that it should be a second step in the definition of
antlibs.

> I'm the type of user who prefers to perform some extra manual work
> over things happening automagically - and I'd like to keep <antlib>
> available to this type of users 8-)

Definately, never suggested otherwise. The automatism I suggested is
just an extra feature for antlibs. IMHO it will be heavily used, but
that's not the point of course.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -