ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: antlib
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2003 10:17:09 GMT

Stefan Bodewig wrote, On 22/04/2003 11.53:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>Example:
>>
>>  <antlib name="ant-contrib" version="1.2+" autodownload="true"/>
>>
>>This would use the ruper task to get the antlib and load it.
>>
>>It would just need to have the Ruper task in Ant core.
>
> I'm losing the connection here.  What more than <uptodate> and <get>
> would be needed for the autodownload feature?

Versioning, repository support, 'auto' download.
Users would not need to know phisical locations, and have a central
antlib repository in the Ant distro, not downloads to ad-hoc places.

So I would reuse the same antllib for all projects that need it, not
have it downloaded and called ad.hoc for every project.

> Maybe the autodownload stuff should be left off for now and
> reconsidered later as it is non-essential for antlib itself IMHO.

Should be left off for now: +1

As for being non-essential I disagree, it's a major feature for users.

>  My
> guess is that people will want to have this pluggable in one way or
> the other anyway.

?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -