ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: antlib / ruper task
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2003 08:01:56 GMT

Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote, On 22/04/2003 9.50:
> I am searching for documentation about ruper. I found this
> http://krysalis.org/cgi-bin/krywiki.pl?Ruper
>
> I see that the ruper task depends on common-vfs. If we use Ruper for antlib,
> which can be very good, then we are making ant core dependent upon
> common-vfs.
>
> Stefan Bodewig wrote :
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=104333061332642&w=2

Hmmm, you are right.

>>Ant must be able to bootstrap itself without any additional libraries
>>(apart from an XML parser) is a long-standing requirement for Ant.  As
>>using <jar> is part of the bootstrap process and <jar> requires the
>>zip classes, we have a problem here, that may be solvable by some CVS
>>tricks.
>
> I have not studied what is there in common-vfs, nor what are the
> dependencies of common-vfs itself. If common-vfs can help us solve more
> elegantly all the problems we have (such as the old bug 10755, and now some
> open issues with ftp) accessing resources, and can help ant manipulate with
> more ease resources (VCS repository entries, FTP or HTTP urls, file system
> files, zip entries, ...), it might be a good idea.
>
> This [ adding new dependencies other than the XML parser ] to ant would
> require a specific vote outside of or parallel to the antlib discussion.

Yes. I guess that for antlib anyone would say ok to it, but it's more
about a question of putting Ruper in Ant, and alongside, also commons-vfs.

Here is the build sequence that is needed for ruper, taken from the
latest Gump descriptors. It's very bad WRT the above points :-/

**** NOTE TO KRYSALIS DEVS ****
I guess we'll have to make ruper depend *optionally* on commons-vfs, and
failback to simple http get if that is not present. So Ant would depend
on ruper-light, that is wothout the commons-vfs stuff. Good catch.
********************************

  ----- Build sequence for krysalis-ruper -----

   bootstrap-ant
   xml-crimson