ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using files in classpath in task file=""
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 10:16:22 GMT

Stefan Bodewig wrote, On 08/04/2003 10.23:
> On Tue, 08 Apr 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>Stefan Bodewig wrote, On 08/04/2003 9.07:
>>
>>>But why stick with the resource protocol?  Can't Xalan deal with
>>>stylesheets loaded via http?
>>
>>Please excuse me, I'm a PITA,
>
> I knew that before this thread ;-)

Be careful, I take it as a compliment ;->

>>You mean use a full URL?
>
> Actually, we are talking about URIs which don't have to be URLs.
>
> Java's URL class isn't able to deal with opaque URIs AFAIK.  (opaque
> are those URIs that don't start with a / after the scheme in layman's
> terms, like mailto:bodewig@apache.org).
>
> So I'd probably simply take a String argument and pass that along,
> without even looking at it.

ahhh

>>Would that not confuse and create problems when we do move to a VFS?
>
> Why?

If the urls used now are not consistent with the later-used VFS uris.
But probably it's a moot point.

>>  <xslt in="a" out="b" style-url="the/url/to/the/style"/>
>
> Be careful with the dash in the attribute's name.

hehehe, xslt uses it, why is it so evil? ;->

> I mean
>
> <xslt in="a" out="b" style="the/url/to/the/style"/>
>
> for files that need to be resolved and

 From javadocs:

"If it is null, this call is equivalent to
  new java.io.File(filename)"

And java.io.File does not have a constructot that takes a URL, so it
would be:

  <xslt in="a" out="b" style="the/pathname/to/the/style"/>

> <xslt in="a" out="b" styleuri="http://xml.apache.org/some-style.xsl"/>
>
> for a stylesheet obtained from the web.

Ok.

> This implies that build file
> writers have to know whether a style sheets comes from the filesystem
> or not.  Is this a problem?

Nope.

IIUC style="" would accept only files, so using it I'd have to be sure
it's on the FS.

styleuri="" instead can be used both for remote and local files, if I
resolve it to a URL, and later with the VFS.

Can this do?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -