ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using files in classpath in task file=""
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 07:07:28 GMT

Stefan Bodewig wrote, On 08/04/2003 8.49:
> On Fri, 04 Apr 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>>* is not as transparent as you say.  Tasks could only use the URI
>>>if they first check that the object is is our version of File and
>>>cast to it.
>>
>>No... that's not how it's supposed to be. What other method do they
>>need?
>

> You are willing to do more in the File subclass than me.
>
> I thought all you wanted was a way to pass an URI to certain tasks
> where it is not possible to use them right now.  Tasks that only
> convert the file name to an URI and pass it up to something else for
> further processing (and this "something else" already knows how to
> deal with different protocols).
>
> Now I understand that you are trying to move to a complete VFS
> abstraction with you innocent looking request ;-)

Yeah :-DDD

These are the filesystem types:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/vfs/filesystems.html

It's cool that it also has a temporary file system :-)

Here are some enhanced Ant VFS tasks:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/vfs/anttasks.html

> I'm not sure whether subclassing java.io.File is the best way to do
> this.  Does commons-vfs do so?

Nope. Here is the file:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons-sandbox/vfs/src/java/org/apache/commons/vfs/FileObject.java?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Looking at the system, which seems very well thought out, it seems to me
that making Ant use it as the underlying system would really rock the
builds.

Also, it needs most of the tools that Ant has, like bzip and stuff.

 From a technological POV putting it under Ant as a VFS makes perfect
sense, but the problem is the usual one: compatibility.

That's why I proposed to reuse io.File, so that we can hook the new
system underneath without touching the tasks.

> Before we invest too much time and
> energy in writing our own layer, we should seriously consider looking
> for existing alternatives.

Definately++

             - verba volant, scripta manent -