ant-dev mailing list archives

From peter reilly <peter.rei...@corvil.com>
Subject Re: antlib
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2003 12:21:49 GMT
On Friday 25 April 2003 12:24, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> Peter,
>
> this is exactly my point. For every new thingy that we add we now need to
> go and modify IntrospectionHelper or something to make special allowances
> for it.

The dynamicelement addition to IntrospectionHelper is general and new thingies
can be added without affecting core ant.

> It is bloating the core like mad and in my opinion it is crazy. We need a
> unified way to treat this things no matter what the things are. Ant's
> engine core should not need to know anything about anything.

Dynamicelement has the potential to remove code (e.g. all the
add<NAME> methods to conditionbase, selectorbase, and filterchain). The
only problem is name clashes.

> In an ideal world, we should have an engine core with no reference to any
> task/type or its implementing classes and a core-antlib which provides the
> classes and definintions for all the
> task/types/conditions/selectors/mappers that define core java.

This can be done with dynamicelement, except for name clashes and mapper
(which does not use sub-elements for different filenamemappers).

Peter.

Ps: I am including mods to IntrospectionHelper.java and
      DynamicElementHelper.java