ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Tulley" <JTUL...@novell.com>
Subject Somebody on this list has the Klez virus
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2002 18:40:53 GMT
Hi all,
   for about 1-2 months now, I have been receiving emails that seem to
be from people on the ant-dev list, that contain the Klez virus.  The
Klez virus is very tricky in that it takes your email address list,
sends itself to somebody on that list, supposedly from somebody else on
that list (IE, both the "to" and "from" are from your email address
book, so you cannot simply email the sender and tell them they've got
the virus).  About 1 month ago, I even got a bounced message supposedly
from me containing Klez to somebody whose system was smart enough to
reject the virus.

Today I also got a bounce-back of a message(again, supposedly from me,
but really just with a spoofed "from" ala Klez), to
"xml-announce@java.sun.com".  This message contained the Klez virus
as well.

If you are on this email list, use Outlook or Outlook Express(possibly
other readers as well, though), and have XML-ANNOUNCE in your email
address book, please do a virus check of your system for Klez.

Before anybody brings it up, I have completely up-to-date virus
definitions, active virus checking of files and emails, and complete
virus scans once a week.  I have checked specifically for Klez on my
system and do not see it.  I am not the one sending the emails.

But I'm tired of getting them and having my address spoofed as the
"from", so please check your system(s).

Thanks, and sorry for the off-topic(albeit important) email.

Jeff Tulley  (jtulley@novell.com)
(801)861-5322
http://www.novell.com