ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Vetoes are void? was Re: [VOTE] target-less build files - counting results
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2002 10:19:00 GMT
On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Peter Donald <peter@apache.org> wrote:

> So far I have have vetoed the change and given reasons which other
> people have supported.

I've cited all reasons as far as I can tell.  These reasons are
reasons against top-level tasks, not against target-less builds.

You can not honestly claim that my example (b) is cleaner, clearer,
easier to understand or makes the learning curve smoother than my
example (a).

If you were saying (b) shouldn't be possibe either, that is a
different thing.

> You have failed to convince me to lift the veto. Thus under current
> apache rules the change needs to be reverted. At least thats my
> understanding of http://jakarta.apache.org/site/decisions.html

As it is mine.

But please don't claim that this has always been your understanding
and that you've always been following that rule.

> However you and Costin have decided that no vetos count anymore -

Wrong.

> only majority votes.

I don't think I've said that, and I certainly don't think it is true.

> Because any veto enacts a "revolution" and then that revolution is
> accepted by majority

I said that I cannot find any documents on how revolutions get
accepted.  You claimed you knew how (something about accepted by all
but three committers) but failed to say where this knowledge comes
from.

I'm far from declaring anything a revolution, you know that quite
well.

> If so I think this needs to be decided by a far larger community as
> I don't believe your interpretation is common to the rest of
> jakarta.

Before you do, please make sure that you don't claim people would
change the rules when they don't.

Stefan