ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] target-less build files
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2002 07:39:56 GMT
On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Stephane Bailliez <sbailliez@apache.org> wrote:
> [...]

The same that happens in Ant 1.5 - only that all tasks can be used
allowed.

> If yes, what about elements order then ?

Things outside of tasks get invoked before any target is run - and in
the order they appear inside the build file.  Just like <property> and
friends in Ant 1.5.

> It is just that right now, I cannot see really what will be the
> benefit compared to default="something".

<project>
  <taskdef name="anakia" ... />
  <anakia ... />
</project>

Very explicit IMHO.  This is currently allowed by the code in CVS HEAD.

<project default="something">
  <taskdef name="anakia" ... />
  <anakia ... />
  <target name="something" />
</project>

is the rather cryptic alternative if we want to force a target into
the file.

The cleaner one then certainly is

<project default="something">
  <target name"something">
    <taskdef name="anakia" ... />
    <anakia ... />
  </target>
</project>

but then I shouldn't have spent time on allowing all tasks outside of
targets in the first place, this is possible with Ant 1.2.

Stefan