ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] target-less build files
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2002 07:45:42 GMT
On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Peter Donald <peter@apache.org> wrote:

> For much the same reasons it was vetoed last time.

Please point me to the "last time".

If I had know it, I could have spent my time on different things (the
change right now is trivial, all that needs to be done is to make
<project>'s default attribute required again).

> Removes clarity and structure from build file.

I'm not convinced that my second example in my answer to Stephane is
clearer than the first one.

> The evolution from target-less to targetful build process can also
> be ugly.

Why?

People will use a target-less build file only for a very straight
process, everything that is more complicated than a simple "compile
all and jar it" process will need targets anyway.

It's not that we recommend to move all tasks at the top level, just
that we don't take away the simple things.

Stefan