ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Vetoes are void? was Re: [VOTE] target-less build files - counting results
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2002 15:52:26 GMT
On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Peter Donald <peter@apache.org> wrote:

> I have no problem with top level tasks and I have never said I did
> as far as I recall.

You do, because saying

> <project>
>   <target name="main">
>     <echo>Hello world</echo>
>   </target>
> </project>

is cleaner than

<project>
  <echo>Hello world</echo>
</project>

says <echo> should be inside a <target>.

And the question whether we allow build files without any targets at
all really boils down to my two (extreme, granted) examples.

> I can claim that
>
> <project>
>   <target name="main">
>     <echo>Hello world</echo>
>   </target>
> </project>
>
> is cleaner, clearer, easier to understand

I don't think it easier to understand.  I imediately agree it makes
learning Ant's target concept easier, once you've written the above.

> ... yada yada.

I was citing you 8-)

> Where I don't think targetless build files do the same.

They don't.  But they are appropriate for cases that don't need to be
modularized at all (and will never be).

Stefan