ant-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: Splitting up optional.jar
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2002 16:59:00 GMT
On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Steve Loughran wrote:

> > 2 properties file is not bad - META-INF/anttasks.properties,
> > anttypes.properties.
> >
> > If we stop making the distinction between task and types ( i.e allow
> > tasks at top level ) there is no need for 2 properties files,
> > if something extends Task or has execute() it is a task, if not
> > type.
>
> and
>  antconditions.properties
>  antejbjar.properties
>  antserverdeploy.properties
> ...etc

Not sure what those are - I think we should reduce the distinctions
between "task" and "type", not to create other entities.

> so we would be using the zip file system for structure, rather than a single
> XML file

First, this is not necesarily bad. At least in my experience most people
seems to deal much better with a file structure rather than editing an XML file
( acording to even a well-defined DTD as web.xml ).

I would also point to Unix systems - where typically you edit a config
file, but most new distributions of linux and most new packages allow a
file-based organization and that proves to be much easier for tools ( I'm
talking about menu systems on kde/gnome, cron, rc.d, etc ).

I agree with the use of an XML file to consolidate the info - but at least
for task definitions we should keep the existing practice, and keep
it simple for the most common things.

Costin