ant-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: [VOTE] target-less build files
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2002 16:45:33 GMT
On 18 Jul 2002, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, <costinm@covalent.net> wrote:
>
> > I think you put the problem in the wrong way - having tasks outside
> > of a task ( i.e. at top level ) is the real issue.
>
> No I don't.
>
> Peter is +1 on allowing tasks outside of targets but -1 on allowing a
> build file without targets.

You mean:

 <project >
   <javac ... />

   <target />
 </project>

I.e. we require a <target/> just for the sake of having it ?

Because if we allow top level tasks you can have everything at
top level.

Well, if there are good reasons for requiring every project to
have at least an empty target, maybe we can make sure the target doesn't
require a name, and we'll have to document that everyone who
is using a toplevel will have to include "<target/>" at the end.
If Peter wants a name as well, users will have to type
"<target name="do_nothing_for_the_sake_of_Peter" />". Ugly, but
it doesn't change too much - you get what you want and we keep
Peter happy.

Costin