ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject About -projecthelp (was RE: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/ apache/tools/ant/helper ProjectHelperImpl.java)
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2002 18:56:02 GMT
I must be missing something...

The -projecthelp switch of Ant and a dry run like (make -n) are two
different things. -projecthelp is supposed to give you a description of all
the targets of the current build file. Why would you execute <ant> or
<antcall>??? The only thing that's needed is to parse all the build file
(and included/imported build files), and list the public target names and
descriptions. I'm not even sure one should allow properties expansion in the
description attribute of target, and it's certainly not allowed in the name
attribute of target.

There's no need to execute anything when a build file doesn't include/import
any other build files, and when one does, only top-level <include>/<import>
with properties related tags (<property> only, and maybe <propertyfile> as
well) that come before them.

And I like the idea of Jose Alberto to define a small ProjectHelper for the
specific purpose of implementing -projecthelp.

In case I really did miss something, please explain me what I didn't
understand. Thanks, --DD