ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick (Gus) Heck" <patrick.h...@olin.edu>
Subject Re: [VOTE] target-less build files
Date Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:47:14 GMT
I like the idea of targetless build files, as long as it doesn't create
a magic name, (other than perhaps "do_nothing_for_the_sake_of_Peter"
which is amusing enough to allow :). If this is implemented, I think we
should consider requiring that all non-target tasks occur before the
first <target/>. I don't like the idea that there could be 40 lines of
init stuff, at the top, and 10 targets, and 2 init lines at the bottom,
that got added because I was lazy, but set a property that mucks things
up later... and I can't figure out where it is being set.

So we would probably need to make exceptions for taskdef, property, and
typedef because they are already allowed anywhere, but could perhaps
deprecate that sort of usage, and put in a slightly annoying warning
that would motivate people not to continue this usage, and fix their old
files.

Since the fix is a simple cut and paste type of thing it wouldn't be too
painful, I think.

Also, allowing setup stuff to be interspersed with targets would lead to
a very counter intuitive reading of the build file. People don't
naturally read like a parser... and we should be striving to keep things
as human readable as possible.

Forced organization = good. Not forced organization = difficult.

I am not a commiter, but I am in favor of targetless builds... so +1ish
:)

Gus