ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject [myrmidon] Namespace, deployment & declaration
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2002 03:14:05 GMT
Hi,

As I understand it now the <import/> tasks actually deploy the library (ie
make it available). When you use a type, say a task, you can use shortname
and it will be sucked out of last <import/>ed tas with that shortname. To
use a specific type you can also specify it using "namespace.shortname".

Is this correct?

Do you think we should move further towards java import model or is it good
as it stands? What I mean is that should all librarys be deployed at start.
Then the <import/> statements just set the list of namespaces that we
search in for a type. So if we import namespace A, B and C. Then we end up
looking for task foo we would first check A.foo, then B.foo then C.foo and
using first type we find.

Ignoring the performance penalty (which I think we could deal with by
caching the deployments) do you think it is a good idea or not?

Cheers,

Peter Donald
everyone gets busy on the proof."
              - John Kenneth Galbraith