ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ian McFarland <...@neo.com>
Subject Re: MacOS trouble ahead?
Date Wed, 22 May 2002 11:09:59 GMT
The tech note you're looking at refers to MRJ 2.0/2.1/2.2, which is the
VM (1.1.8-based) for 'Classic' (pre-OS X.)

OS X is FreeBSD+Mach, with an environment, and shell execs, and the rest
of it. If you want to do something that you think might break on OS X,
let me know, and I'll test for you, but for the most part it's just
another Unix flavor. (Without X Windows by default, mind, but for that
you get Quartz instead, and if you really want X, XFree86 supports it
since 4.1 or so, but so far I don't use it regularly for anything other
than xclock. ;-) Most Mac apps don't write to stdout (which I think is
part of what they're getting at) but they certainly can. I haven't
specifically tried, say, piping output to an exec, or reading it from an
exec, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

It's really just FreeBSD+Mach+a really nice couple of compatibility
layers for legacy OS 9 code, plus lots of other nice libraries
(including tons of stuff from NeXTStep) and Quartz and.... ok with a lot
of other stuff added on. (Including hardware acceleration for Swing
apps. That's pretty cool.)

I guess the upshot is: don't worry. Java development for OS X is so much
more line standard Unix-oriented Java development than, say, Java
development on Windows. (Even *with* the Cygnus stuff.) It just has a
nicer UI than, say, Solaris. ;-)

Look at the 1.3 and 1.3.1 release notes for relevant stuff. They've done
a pretty good job of keeping things compatible. The add-ons are all
designed to degrade gracefully.

Cheers,
-Ian