ant-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: exporting classpath references from inner Ant builds to outer Ant builds.
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 15:56:29 GMT
From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>
On Thu, 23 May 2002 23:11, James Strachan wrote:
> From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>
>
> > > Be warned that there is virtually no chance of it actually getting
into
> > core.
>
> > Any reason why?
>
> Mainly as Ant is not intended to be a scripting language and most people
don't
> want to see it become one (better to use python/javascript/perl/whatever
if
> you want fully script environment). Putting a return statement in <ant/>
> effectively makes <ant/> a method/funciton call which has been vetoed
several
> dozen times through out ants history and my guess is it woul dbe vetoed
again
> ;)

I understand - though its wierd that <ant> allows references to be passed in
(method/function call arguments) but that references can not be passed back.
For defining classpaths, which are absolutely crucial to compiling, running
java and unit tests, it seems bizarre that we can't have a common build.xml
for defining such things and reuse them across other build.xml documents.

i.e. if we're gonna allow <ant> at all, which is effectively like a method
call, and allowing arguments to be passed in, then absolutely disallowing
any return value (a single classpath reference is all I want) seems a little
strict and inconsistent.

Though I'm happy to go with whatever the community thinks best; this can
always be a feature in Maven rather than Ant.

James