ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [JPackage-devel] RE: RPMs
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2002 08:49:04 GMT
On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Guillaume Rousse <rousse@ccr.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> Sofar, i'm not aware of any trouble caused by someone using jpackage
> rpms.

This is not my point.

If you ship scripts that are different from ours, we cannot support
people that have problems with yours (no matter whether this has
happened in the past or not).  Furthermore your current scripts are
lacking features like the JAVACMD, ANT_OPTS and ANT_ARGS environment
variables that we talk about in the user manual.

Many users will not be aware of the fact that your scripts are not the
same scripts that the manual is talking about.

> and future adaptations (splitted optional tasks to make dependencies
> less drastic, automatic loading of dependend classes)

I'd urge you to do this together with ant-dev.  We've been talking
about splitting optional.jar into several pieces ourselves.  If you
and we split it into different pieces or only use different names for
these pieces, we'd be totally confusing out users.

> I don't patch defaut script anymore, i provide a complete rewrite
> offering same features with unified jpackage behaviour.

Then please, please, please track the evolution of Ant's default
script closely and adapt your script to ours.

Stefan