ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Help getting started with GUMP
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2002 06:35:15 GMT
On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Dominique Devienne <DDevienne@lgc.com> wrote:

> Before I'm kindly asked to RTFM, I would appreciate any experiences,
> insights, advises, or whatever you could tell me regarding
> implementing a GUMP build.

The first advice would be to consult alexandria-dev instead of ant-dev
as Gump is part of the Alexandria subproject.  ;-)

>From your description I'm not sure whether Gump does what you want it
to do.  It is possible to make projects depend on already built jars
(to simulate dependencies on old versions) but in general it will
build the latest code of everything against the latest code of all
dependencies.

>From some personal experience with the Jakarta Gump (that I happen to
run on my box about once per day, whenever I feel like I should):

> * Should each developer do a full gump build before commits?

Depends upon the number of projects involved, I guess.  A full Jakarta
Gump run (i.e. what you see at the Jakarta website) takes more than an
hour on my machine - I wouldn't recommend such a delay before each and
every commit.

I have done complete Gump runs when I've made changes to Ant that I
knew could cause trouble.  For example I did so before I changed
verify that the change didn't break anything that hasn't been broken
before.  But I certainly won't start a complete run before each and
every commit.

> * What do individual projects use to compile dialy wrt their
> dependencies?

In Jakarta land, those projects that have nightly builds built by Gump
have been compiled against the latest CVS code of all their
dependencies.  Nightly builds of Ant for example have been built
against the latest CVS code of Xerces, BCEL, JUnit, Log4J and several
other projects.

> * What's the status of ANTGUMP vs. GUMP?

ANTGUMP is now Vindico - ask on alexandria-dev, I'm not sure whether
Scott has the bandwidth to be here as well.

Stefan