ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RPMs
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:51:09 GMT

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, GOMEZ Henri <hgomez@slib.fr> wrote:

>>The canonical way to say "I want jikes" is
>>
>>ant -Dbuild.compiler=jikes
>
> Yes but what happen if there is no jikes present ?

We assume the user knows whether jikes is available before asking for
it 8-)

> I recall the goal is to have jikes used when present and
> if not fall back to javac.

The goal of the script in the RPM, yes.  Not the goal of "Ant's"
script.  The goal of the script in Ant's distribution is to use the
compiler the user specifies and its default is javac.

> gcj produce native code which is not what we want.

Should have thought of that myself, yes.

> btw, jikes is fast, well-know and produce good code...

Sure, I use it myself (1.14 as 1.15 is far to buggy).  But my defaults
shouldn't necessarily be Ant's.

Stefan