ant-dev mailing list archives

From "GOMEZ Henri" <hgo...@slib.fr>
Subject RE: RPMs
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:57:12 GMT
>>>ant -Dbuild.compiler=jikes
>>
>> Yes but what happen if there is no jikes present ?
>
>We assume the user knows whether jikes is available before asking for
>it 8-)

True in interactive job, but not in rpm build mode whereas the user
have no control on jikes/ant only on rpm. In that case he should
modify the spec file which is bad.

typicall case:

user install xerces 1.4.4 rpm

	rpm -Uvh xerces-j-1.4.4.1.src.rpm

user go to spec file and rebuild the rpm

	cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
	rpm -ba xerces.spec

=> he's got the binaries rpm

>> I recall the goal is to have jikes used when present and
>> if not fall back to javac.
>
>The goal of the script in the RPM, yes.  Not the goal of "Ant's"
>script.  The goal of the script in Ant's distribution is to use the
>compiler the user specifies and its default is javac.

I'll modify the jakarta rpm accordingly (for ant 1.5)

>> gcj produce native code which is not what we want.
>
>Should have thought of that myself, yes.

;)

>> btw, jikes is fast, well-know and produce good code...
>
>Sure, I use it myself (1.14 as 1.15 is far to buggy).  But my defaults
>shouldn't necessarily be Ant's.

That's why I think it could be nice to have such --with-jikes
flag added to ant script.

Just tell ant to check for jikes and use it if available
if not fallback silently to javac.