ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Wannheden, Knut" <K...@paranor.ch>
Subject configuring log4j for task
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2002 09:58:46 GMT
Hi,

I have written a high level Java wrapper for the ClearCase SCM system.  I
extensively used the log4j logging library to trace all the actions in the
wrapper.  So in case anything goes wrong, I will still know what changes
have (or haven't) been made.  Implementing appropriate rollback commands
would of course be the way to go ;)

I would now like to create Ant tasks for the ClearCase commands.  (Possibly
I'd do this using xdoclet, as the ClearCase commands all pretty much have
the same interface.)  But I am unsure what to do about the log4j log.
Normally when using log4j the user should define the "log4j.configuration"
system property.  I would still want to encourage this usage pattern, but
I'd also like to have some kind of default configuration; let's say
everything with priority of at least INFO should be logged to the console or
a default file.  This would be effective if the user didn't set the
log4j.configuration property.

Furthermore it would also be nice if it were possible to specify the log4j
configuration as attributes or nested elements of the ClearCase tasks.

Does anyone have a good suggestion on how to integrate the log4j
configuration into an Ant task?  Or has it been done with other tasks
already?

Thanks,

Knut Wannheden.