ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional/extension Extension.java
Date Sat, 20 Apr 2002 05:47:35 GMT
On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 16:28, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Peter Donald <peter@apache.org> wrote:
> > What I would prefer was that you had answered my question when I
> > asked it initially
>
> Then I must have missed that question, sorry.
>
> I vaguely recall that you talked about depending on stuff from
> excalibur, and I didn't think that would be different from depending
> on stuff from BCEL.

BCEL is a coarse grained project where extension is a fine grained component.
ie

$ find jakarta-bcel/src/java ! -path '*CVS*' | wc -l
    347
$ find jakarta-avalon-excalibur/extension/src/java ! -path '*CVS*' | wc -l
     15

> All that I wanted to say is that *I* won't do what your warning
> expects me to do if I see a reason to change the class

It takes a very minor effort on your part to collaborate but instead you
choose not to. If it was a project external to apache or under an alternative
license or did not have someone who would fix original project then it may be
understandable - but this is not the case. You work against a project rather
than with it. I wonder why Ant2 is taking so long.

> Why are you duplicating the code instead of making it a binary
> dependency on the appropriate excalibur part?

Because ants library classloader management sucks. I want users to have this
work out of the box without going through uglies to get it working. Users
have to suffer enough due to crappy decisions and I want to avoid this if at
all possible. Usually that would mean bundling the library with ant. However
given the near religious fervour against bundling even essentials in ants
distribution I assumed this was out - or am I wrong?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald