ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Mailhot <Nicolas.Mail...@one2team.com>
Subject Re: [JPackage-devel] RE: RPMs
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:29:30 GMT
Le jeu 25/04/2002 à 10:49, Stefan Bodewig a écrit :
> On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Guillaume Rousse <rousse@ccr.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> > I don't patch defaut script anymore, i provide a complete rewrite
> > offering same features with unified jpackage behaviour.
>
> Then please, please, please track the evolution of Ant's default
> script closely and adapt your script to ours.

I'd really like better communication between project script writers and
jpackage integrators. Jpackage tries very hard to find common grounds
between the various standards, java projects and common linux
distribution policies ; these same projects have input from more
platforms and a better view of where they are going.

So really there is no « better setup » that should supersede the other.
Many users won't care if ant's behaviour documented if it conflicts with
the behaviour af all the other apps installed. On the other hand, having
a behaviour different than the one in the published doc is obviously
evil.

So could we just agree to :
1. stop yelling at each other « my script is better than yours »
2. get every script writer together to agree on a unified version
3. announce any later change in these scripts on both ant-dev and
jpackage lists so everyone has a chance to chime in if it breaks an
important rule ?

I really hope that jpackage can achieve its aim of being a forum where
packagers of all the various java projects out there can meet and define
some common rules. There is no reason jpackage rpms can not become «
official » ant rpms (or the other way around) once we address everyone's
needs. We are not different on purpose. We are different because the
original ant packaging ignored some rules we cared about.

Best regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot