ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <st...@myrealbox.com>
Subject Re: non ant classes used in tasks??-- j2ee hot deployer
Date Sat, 27 Apr 2002 18:13:51 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2002 06:55
Subject: Re: non ant classes used in tasks??-- j2ee hot deployer

>I also doubt people will be deploying to different brands of appservers at
once.
>But I disagree on having different tasks for each brand. In my opinion this
should
>work just like <javac>. One just set which appserver to use and voila the
thing gets deployed.

>In that regard, the subelements are there to specify the particulars for
each type of server.
>I should be able to take the same buildfile and do something like:
>
>    ant -Dant.ejbserver=weblogic
>
>    ant -Dant.ejbserver=jboss
>
>   ant -Dant.ejbserver=websphere
>
>In reality this values will probably come from a properties file, as well
as passwords and such
>but the point is that I should be able to create a generic J2EE application
and ship it with an
>ANT buildfile that installs it on different appserver brands without
requiring maintaining
>different targets for each one.
>
>Just like we do for compilers. This may also apply to <ejbjar> BTW.

I have a different view

1. why do we have to do destination specific stuff for EJB deployment at
all? If you have do know your destination at build time then you cant ever
do re-usable enterprise apps. Certainly the lifespan of a binary without
maintenance is limited to the lifespan of your app server version. Contrast
with webapps that are (usually) nicely generic.

2. why no standardized JMX-over-the-wire or other api for deployment. I know
there is some JCP stuff in this area, but the details escape me.

With such fundamentall issues (esp #1), everything we do in ant is damage
limitation

Steve

"Ant: because somone has to fill the gaping holes in the J2EE development
process"