ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: non ant classes used in tasks??-- j2ee hot deployer
Date Sat, 27 Apr 2002 13:55:35 GMT
From: "David Jencks" <davidjencks@directvinternet.com>

> I am a little confused about the utility of having a task whose subtasks
> all deploy to different app servers.  I would think that the infrequency of
> one target needing to deploy to several different app server brands would
> make an arrangement where each app server gets its own task would perhaps
> make more sense.

I also doubt people will be deploying to different brands of appservers at once.
But I disagree on having different tasks for each brand. In my opinion this should
work just like <javac>. One just set which appserver to use and voila the thing gets
deployed.

In that regard, the subelements are there to specify the particulars for each type of server.
I should be able to take the same buildfile and do something like:

    ant -Dant.ejbserver=weblogic

    ant -Dant.ejbserver=jboss

    ant -Dant.ejbserver=websphere

In reality this values will probably come from a properties file, as well as passwords and
such
but the point is that I should be able to create a generic J2EE application and ship it with
an
ANT buildfile that installs it on different appserver brands without requiring maintaining
different targets for each one.

Just like we do for compilers. This may also apply to <ejbjar> BTW.

Jose Alberto