ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick (Gus) Heck" <patrick.h...@olin.edu>
Subject Re: possible symlink task
Date Sat, 27 Apr 2002 01:31:53 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Loughran" <steve_l@iseran.com>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2002 3:06 AM
Subject: Re: possible symlink task

> > 2. If the first answer is no, Is the Ant community interested
> >    in having a symlink task similar to what I have described.
>

> I think it could be useful; how do you propose handling windows. OS/390,
> novell behavior. Silent no-op? warning?:

Good, At the moment I plan to write the task
for linux only, and issue a warning about it
being a no-op if any non-linux system
is detected. Any other platforms on which
'ln -s resource link' works can the be immediately
added to the list of acceptable operating systems
(that don't get the warning).

When other developers (or I) add support for
additional operating systems, they can be added
to the list of systems that don't get the warning.

> > 3. If the above answers are no, and yes respectively then how
> >    do I go about submitting this once I have the code working,
> >    documented and formatted?
>
> ooh, there are some docs on that somewhere in the docs folder of your copy
> of ant

Ok, good I'll check that. I also think there may be
some need to patch DirectoryScanner with a
noFollowSymlinks() method which can be
simlar to isCaseSensitive().

This is needed so that a file set that is used to find
symlinks doesn't have to follow them too. In some
scenarios one might want to follow them, but this
leads to behavior that is much harder for the user to
keep track of, so I don't want it to be default behavior.

Does this potential patch pose any forseable problems?