ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdef s Zip.java
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 16:42:14 GMT
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Peter Donald wrote:

> > Leaving stuff in:
> > o Gives more familiarity for users when it comes to recognising their
> > converted files and adding to them o Means we don't need a single preferred
> > name
> > o Adds to the complexity of the code (in terms of extra methods which are
> > essentially of no use) o Adds to the difficulty of reading someone else's
> > build file if they're using undocumented names o Keeps existing code which
> > uses varying method calls
>
> However far more importantly IMHO is
>
> o Leaving stuff in makes it harder to write build files due to inconsistencies

Or:
- it makes easier to write build files due to consistency with previous
versions.

- it makes it possible to write build files that work with multiple
versions of ant - 99% of the build.xml files should work with
any version of ant starting with 1.3 ( with some bogus warnings if 1.4
is used ). Given that many people will stick with ant1.x, and will
not convert their files for exaclty this reason - I think this is the
important benefit here.

> > It strikes me that aside from the part about choosing a single preferred
> > name,
>
> I think we just need someone to step up and rigourously define a "standard"
> approach to naming attributes/elements and then document this stanrd. From
> now on we could start using it. We already sort of decided on
> destFile/srcFile etc but it is not documented etc

I think someone already did set up a sandard - it is the current DTD,
set by all the ant commiters.

It is not 'perfect' in the some views, but 1 year from now
whoever will be then 'active commiter' may have different
opinions about the today standard and follow the precedent and
create yet-another standard based on their taste.

I don't think 'taste' can be standardized, and acomodating multiple
styles is more important than imposing one's taste on
everyone else.

Costin