ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject RE: Multiple patternsets in a fileset
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2002 02:45:02 GMT
> From: Erik Hatcher [mailto:jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com]
>
> Ok.... I suppose if its not documented anywhere then its fair
> game to break,
> but almost assuredly folks are using multiple patternsets within a fileset
> and would get bitten by this change of behavior.  I'll let the other
> committers chime in if they feel differently and am currently +0 on this
> change since it seems very useful but we should also consider the
> impact it
> has.

Ok, this is an example from a build file in mutant (somewhat elided)

  <patternset id="deprecated">
    <exclude name="org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/Copydir.java"/>
    <exclude name="org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/Copyfile.java"/>
  </patternset>

  <patternset id="toohard">
    <exclude name="org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/AntStructure.java"/>
    <exclude name="org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/Recorder.java"/>
    <exclude name="org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/RecorderEntry.java"/>
  </patternset>

  <patternset id="converted">
    <exclude name="org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/Ant.java"/>
    <exclude name="org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/CallTarget.java"/>
  </patternset>

  <fileset id="ant1src" dir="../../src/main">
    <include name="org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/**/*.java"/>
    <patternset refid="deprecated"/>
    <patternset refid="toohard"/>
    <patternset refid="converted"/>
  </fileset>

I'd guess the suggested change would break this. I guess my intutition is
just different. I treat a patternset as a set of file selection patterns,
not as a the file selections themselves. That is what I use filesets for.

Conor