ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Davis <pdavis...@attbi.com>
Subject Re: Delete task is EVILEVILEVIL!!!
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2002 08:53:28 GMT
No offense to you, and I know we've all made mistakes before, but really the
only question is "Why didn't you have backups?".  I know that I have deleted
my own files by accident on several occasions (one time I typed "rm -rf
somedir[tab][enter]" expecting the UNIX auto complete to kick in, and of
course it didn't and I deleted the whole directory).  Since then, I have
always made backups and always tested dangerous commands before I execute.

I don't know about everyone else, but the independent behaviour is actually
how I expected <delete> to work.  The docs say that a dir selects an entire
dir and a file selects a set of individual files, and nowhere does it say
they are related (I'm not looking at the docs right now, but this is what I
remember).  If this were to change, then it would not be as simple to, say,
include 3 directories and a single file from a 4th.  I think it's useful to
be able to specify both independently.

Sorry for your loss.  We all hate that sinking feeling when you realize what
just happened, like going over the top of a roller coaster, but much less
happy :)

--
Peter Davis
Are we not men?