ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jon Skeet" <jon.sk...@peramon.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdef s Zip.java
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 18:01:03 GMT
> I don't think 'taste' can be standardized, and acomodating multiple
> styles is more important than imposing one's taste on
> everyone else.

I'm not sure I agree with that - at least not in all cases. Consider Sun's naming conventions.
There are arguments against parts of it, but the fact that it's used by the vast majority
of Java programmers has done wonders for readability, IMO. I can read Ant sources pretty easily,
and a fair amount of that is due to naming conventions.

On the other hand, I'm glad no-one forces me to use K&R bracing at work. (I suspect this
is another area where looking through all of the Ant sources will improve my skills. :)

I suspect a lot of it comes down to whether or not build files will only ever be worked on
by one person. If so, then it doesn't matter what's used so long as it makes sense to that
person. If not, it helps if everyone at least knows what the conventions are, even if they
can deliberately choose to ignore them. (See my alias scheme :)

Jon