ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jon Skeet" <jon.sk...@peramon.com>
Subject FileUtils - why do we need instances?
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2002 23:35:03 GMT
I'm trying to understand org.apache.tools.ant.utils.FileUtils. There are
no instance variables, and as far as I can see nothing extends it. Is
there any good reason for needing instances rather than the methods
being static? (Making the methods static wouldn't break 3rd party source
code which created instances and used them; it might break binary
compatibility though.)

I'm asking more to see if there's something I've missed than to suggest
a change. I just found the instance in Project.java (which is going to
take a *long* time to work through, but should help my Ant understanding
rather a lot!) and wondered why it was needed...

Jon