ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jon Skeet" <jon.sk...@peramon.com>
Subject RE: Apologies and different offer of help...
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:15:24 GMT
> From: "Jon Skeet" <jon.skeet@peramon.com>
>

> > 1) Do people think this would actually be
> > helpful? I suspect that a lot of the time
> > it would be trivial stuff - stuff where
> > the method name isn't *quite* clear enough,
> > but 10 seconds of looking at the code makes
> > it obvious what's intended.
>
> -1 to change the name of a non-private method
> that has been released.  -1 to change name of
> methods unless we have a really really good
> reason.  It will be too much pain just for
> aesthetics.  If the method name appears not
> upto the mark, please consider improving
> the documentation so that the real intent of
> the method is exposed.

Sorry - I probably wasn't clear enough. I wasn't going to start changing *any* code, although
I might suggest some changes. It's a case of adding *documentation* to the code.

> > Is it worth spending that extra time (not
>
> Adding documentation wherever it is lacking
> appears worthwhile to me.  However, changing
> method names does not ;-(

Absolutely.

> > 2) Which version should I do this on? If I
> > attack the current CVS main tree, a lot of
> > the work in Ant2 will be missed - but if I
> > attack the proposal tree, I suspect a lot
> > of things are prone to change there anyway.
>
> Please go against the main trunk.

Righto.

> > Any thoughts welcome.
>
> Take a look at BugZilla.  There are a few
> enhancement requests and bug reports that
> have been out there for a long time, but
> none have come up with the necessary patches
> yet.  Perhaps, you could spend your energy on
> some of those?

Yup, that sounds like a good idea too. I suspect that if they haven't been picked off yet,
they'll need a fair amount of *concerted* effort rather than the piecemeal time I have on
my hands, but you never know...

Jon