ant-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Ellsworth <sc...@alodar.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdef s Zip.java
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2002 19:20:39 GMT

On Tuesday, February 19, 2002, at 07:13  AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Conor MacNeill <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> I think we should also agree the principle that a feature is not
>> part of Ant until it is included in an official Ant release, which
>> has been the subject of a vote by committers.
>
> +1 to all of the above

I agree with this wholeheartedly, but with one additional plea from a
user.

Please - consider having the issues that the committers need to vote on
be documented somewhere, if only so the committers know what unresovled
issues still exist.  Then, note the ones that have been voted on in a
document somewhere.

I am not a committer, so it only affects me tangentially.  That said, if
I am writing a build file, I would far rather use something that
everyone plans on getting into the release than something whose fate is
not yet known.  I expect changes with alpha or beta software, but I also
try to use the "bits likely to survive".  The easier it is to find out
the 'best known way', the more likely I am to use that way.

Perhaps by policy, we could deprecate anything new, and undeprecate
anything that the committers have agreed to?

Scott