ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdef s Zip.java
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2002 15:26:46 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 02:03, Stephane Bailliez wrote:
>
> Well I disagree. Theres a specific warning in myrmidon CVS (see WARNING.txt),
> it has never been made a sa nightly download, never been released at all, not
> even the semblence of standing still ... I could go on.

As Stephane pointed out there is a specific warning about ALL Jakarta
nightly builds. Nor do I think that the length of time a feature has
been in alpha builds is really a factor.

> Keep it undocumented and deprecate it but
> don't remove it.

If it is there, it should be documented, IMHO, even if it is documented
as deprecated.

Anyway, I don't think we are getting anywhere now, so let's move along
and consider how we should prevent this in the future (i.e. as you say
don't generalize this behaviour). I hope you'd agree that this isn't
something we want to repeat. Perhaps, in future, all nightly builds of
Ant should incorporate a warning -

"You are using an unreleased version of Ant which may contains features
subject to change without notice. Use at your own risk."

I think we should also agree the principle that a feature is not part of
Ant until it is included in an official Ant release, which has been the
subject of a vote by committers.

Conor