ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [WARN] Removing the file attribute from <zip> and friends tomorrow
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2002 09:33:20 GMT
On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 20:04, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Peter Donald <peter@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 19:12, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> >> I don't really understand this, sorry.
> >
> > What you dont understand why people or using it or why we should
> > should support these people?
>
> Why people would want to use one nightly build and adapt to it but not
> want to adapt to yet another nightly build.

the majority of people don't know they are using a nightly ?

> > It is trivial to update the projects at Apache and some of the ones
> > at sourceforge. however it is not so easy to update others that are
> > not opensource or that we can't contact.
>
> Is it unreasonable to expect that people who use nightly builds of Ant
> instead of released versions follow ant-dev?

I would say yep ;)

> > what exactly is the problem with these 3 lines?
>
> That we are binding our own hands if we extend backwards compatibility
> to the level of nightly builds.  <apply> would still be <transform> as
> <fileset> and <prefixedfileset> and ...
>
> It is not the problem of three lines, but a problem of how we want to
> develop Ant.  If every change I make to Ant's code that adds an
> attribute or nested element or task means I cannot change the name or
> meaning of this thing while we are in alpha cycles, things will slow
> down considerably.

The problem is the length of time that it has been like that. The change was
made prior to 1.4 being released. If it had been a lesser time and fewer
people had already adapted to the change then I would have no problem with
it. However the change has been too long in codebase to completely remove.

--
Cheers,

Pete

"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." -- Maugham