ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] 'redefine' task that uses JDK 1.4/JPDA class redefinition
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2002 06:03:13 GMT
On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 08:02, Kevin A. Burton wrote:
> It also seems like this might be overkill.  What I would actually like to
> see is an improvement to JPDA.

It maybe overkill but I can't wait for it. Can you imagine java applications
that start up *faster* that native applications? *drool*

> > > I think this is a good idea.  Of course I will contribute this to
> > > Apache if it is requested.
> > >
> > > The only other drawback is that this will require JDK 1.4 to compile.
> > > It might be a good idea to put this under a CONTRIB directory.
> >
> > We can keep it in the optional hierarchy as not all of that is all
> > compiled and we can have conditional compilation there. Though it may be
> > an idea to keep it on separate project so you can release it on a faster
> > cycle than ant does releases so you can tune it faster then again - maybe
> > not ! ;)
>
> <snip/>
>
> Yeah... this is actually a good idea.  One of the things I don't like about
> the ASF is that chaos needs to be harnessed a little better.
>
> ... can ant have sub projects?

probably - never really been discussed.

> The redefine task is somewhat complicated,
> should be released under its own schedule, has a number of TODO items
> associated with it, should have its own documentation, etc.
>
> Would be a shame to hide it in an optional package.

What I would suggest is to go the commons project and then develope it there.
That gives you a much easier way to to do experimentation and release stuff.
When it is ready you can pull it into ant if you like ;)

> > The big mistake that men make is that when they turn thirteen or fourteen
> > and all of a sudden they've reached puberty, they believe that they like
> > women. Actually, you're just horny. It doesn't mean you like women any
> > more at twenty-one than you did at ten.  --Jules Feiffer (cartoonist)
>
> ha... I didn't realize this was your .sig... I started reading it and that
> "what the hell is he talking about"  :)

:)

--
Cheers,