ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] 'redefine' task that uses JDK 1.4/JPDA class redefinition
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2002 08:21:29 GMT
On Mon, 4 Feb 2002 08:46, Kevin A. Burton wrote:
> OK.
>
> Has anyone read about the JPDA 1.4 enhancements that have made it into JDK
> 1.4:
> Developers could have compile, redefine, and test (with cactus or RPC style
> code) within seconds without having to wait for their ENTIRE application
> reload.  Application server admins will be able to redefine necessary code
> without having to restart their application (think availability).
>
> Thought?

Sounds interesting. There is actually JSRs in progress that will address this
and specifically allow much cleaner and faster compartmentalization/isolation
(which leads to faster startup times and ability to almost instantly redeploy
apps if the different parts are isolated. However this will not be in place
before JDK1.5 so this could be useful in some areas I expect.

> I think this is a good idea.  Of course I will contribute this to Apache if
> it is requested.
>
> The only other drawback is that this will require JDK 1.4 to compile.  It
> might be a good idea to put this under a CONTRIB directory.

We can keep it in the optional hierarchy as not all of that is all compiled
and we can have conditional compilation there. Though it may be an idea to
keep it on separate project so you can release it on a faster cycle than ant
does releases so you can tune it faster then again - maybe not ! ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

The big mistake that men make is that when they turn thirteen or fourteen and
all of a sudden they've reached puberty, they believe that they like women.
Actually, you're just horny. It doesn't mean you like women any more at
twenty-one than you did at ten.                --Jules Feiffer (cartoonist)