ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdef s Zip.java
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2002 16:03:17 GMT
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>

> On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Magesh Umasankar <umagesh@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > The revision number 1.47 (Tagged for Ant 1.4) does not contain
> > the method setFile(File).  IOW, it has not been 'released' yet.
>
> The file attribute has been in the not-for-the-release branch before
> Ant 1.4.1 has been released - that's what Pete is talking about.

Ah!  I see.  Time for me to go to LensCrafters, I think ;-)

> > Since we seem to have reached a stale mate, let me propose
> > a new set of guidelines with respect to introduction of new
> > attributes which just rename an existing one.
>
> As we've already reached the point that we are unable to remove any
> deprecated things ever, we can as well remove all deprectaion
> warnings, you are right.  I don't like it, but guess I have to live
> with that.  +0 to your proposals.

Deprecation warnings which are tied only to the
attribute name changes...

> If we remove all deprecation warnings, can we please still mark the
> old stuff as deprecated in the documentation - so that new users can
> be happier.

Sure.  I didn't mean to remove them from javadoc.
That is how we are going to convey what our
current aming standard is.

> And really, let's not drop the "remove all
> deprecated features" goal for Ant2.

-0.  Why do you want the aliases removed in Ant2?
Just for aesthetics? If we can live with it in
Ant1, we can live with it in Ant2 as well?
That is why I said we should start calling aliases a
feature ;-)

As for removal of other deprecated cruft, +1.

> > * Each alaised name should live in harmony with its 'aliasees'.
>
> They already do so, don't they?

Yes, but I wanted to put through an exhaustive
guideline; that is all...

> Stefan

Cheers,
Magesh