ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: <property file=... problem
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2002 16:53:26 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Magesh Umasankar" <umagesh@apache.org>

> -1

Lame.  Sorry.... its just such a globally beneficial thing but heck, what do
I know.

> Though <property environment=.../> has set
> a precursor of letting in a prefix, providing
> prefix attribute to <property file=... prefix=.../>
> is a very short-sighted implementation and
> is not generic, IMHO.

It isn't designed to be generic.  Its designed to prevent name clashes, that
is what environment="env" does.  And that is what a prefix="..." would do.
That is all.

> If we introduce the attribute prefix today,
> I would want to have the attribute suffix
> tomorrow, the ability to replace keys or values
> with some other key strings on the fly, day after
> tomorrow.

You're making up extremely contrived scenarios that have never been
requested.  If you want to morph the actual property file elsewhere that is
a different story and no doubt way out of scope for <property>.

> Right now, if a property file
> has two identical keys with different values,
> only the second key will be loaded.  Not that I would,
> but if I want to be able to differentiate
> identical keys by attaching a .1, .2, .3 suffix
> at runtime, I can't and I would need to morph
> the property file into a new property file using
> some other tasks (I don't even know if it is
> possible, right now)...  Someday, I would
> want to load only those properties in a
> properties file that contain the key string
> "Init" or something like that.

Again, a really really contrived scenario, of which <property> is out of
scope for and a very good use-case would have to be made for me to consider
touching something like that.

> I have already proposed an alternative way to
> implement this feature - that of transforming
> keys & values present in a property file before

Thats just a way too "complex" syntax and usage, IMHO.

When you're a filter reader everything looks like a nail.

Sorry Magesh, no offense.... I'm just perplexed why this particular issue
turned into a -1 and a far more complex and involved thing.

Anyway, saved me a bit of coding! :)

    Erik