ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: <propertyfile> use cases request
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:00:39 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Surette" <psurette@espial.com>

> However, if you're interested in feature requests ;)

Ummm.... what have I done?!  :)

> - it would be very nice if propertyfile would preserve comments
> etc. This is already mentioned in the task documentation as a
> nice-to-have. I've looked around the web and can't find any utility
> for editing property files that you could use and have considered
> writing one. Right now I'm trying to polish up a set of
> Jython task definitions however.

This is a bit beyond the scope of my refactorings, since it currently reads
in property files using the Property class API to load and save.  Comments
get lost in the process unfortunately.  We'd have to incorporate our own
property file reader/writer to accomplish this, I believe.

> - I would also like a property file merge type operation where
> the contents of one property file could be added to another
> property file and override any shared properties. Basically
> what I want is a sort of inheritance for property files.

Are you looking for properties that get merged within Ant's property
mechanism specifically?  Or for property files to get merged for external
deployment use?

For Ant, you can get the override capability by carefully ordering your
<property file=""> statements.

But again, merging isn't something I plan on tackling now either.  I just
want the darn thing to work properly with its current features!  :)

Thanks for posting the feature requests.  I encourage you to post them to
Bugzilla for our tracking purposes though.

    Erik