ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: antlib descriptor
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2002 07:38:37 GMT
From: "Adam Murdoch" <adammurdoch_ml@yahoo.com>

> > From: Steve Loughran [mailto:steve_l@iseran.com]
>

> > Would it be possible to work with Jose Alberto to bring your two visions
> > into sync so we have one implementation we can pull in to the main tree?
> >

> Absolutely.  The next step after deciding on a starting point for the
> descriptor format, is to extract out a task that can import type defs from
> an antlib.  Jose Alberto's proposal is the only one with a task that we can
> push into ant 1.5, so we'd probably start with that.

Humm, I will need to try to isolate some of the additional features from
each other. So we could make things easier. Actually one of the things
I am trying to achieve in the proposal is to strenghen the Project API
so that the information we need is delivered without needing to look
inside Project's internal datastructures.

> I think we want to tackle this a piece-at-a-time.  All of the proposals
> include features that are experimental.  We don't want to include the
> experimental bits in the ant 1.5 tree.  This is why I want to break the
> process up into small steps, each with limited scope.  At the end of each
> step, we end up with something in the ant 1.5 tree.  Maybe it's an entire
> proposal, maybe it's a chunk of one, maybe it's a distillation of all 3,
> maybe none of the above.

Sound good to me. BTW I was ready to add descriptors for the definitions
in ant/lib and was thinking how to do it. The current code looks in one file
containing core and optional declarations. In your proposal, you look for
on each jar in ant/lib for descriptors. I would like to go your way.

Next is what to do on failure. What do we do if a class cannot be loaded?
Do we warn, ignore of stop when this happens. Shall we provide options?
This is relevant since ANT does not contain all tasks all the time.

> Good idea.  How about we just ignore stuff we don't understand?

If and only if the version of the descriptor is higher than the current version of ANT.

Jose Alberto