ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: ScriptDef
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2002 23:55:13 GMT
+1 - I like the script tasks working just like regular tasks.  Very nice.
This was something I was aiming for with some of my patches to the <script>
task so that you could get access to its task context a lot cleaner, but
your <scriptdef> is even cooler.

    Erik

----- Original Message -----
From: "Conor MacNeill" <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 6:44 PM
Subject: RE: ScriptDef

> From: Tim Vernum [mailto:Tim.Vernum@macquarie.com]
>
> From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@apache.org]
>
> > Similar to what I prototyped except with a syntax that did away with
> > getters. Essentially it was simplified to just
> >
> > <scriptdef name="scripttest" language="javascript">
> >   <param name="test" default="hello"/>
>
> +1

My motivation was to make scripted tasks somewhat similar to a real task, as
would be written in Java, particularly when using Rhino. I thought that
would make it useful for quickly prototyping a task for later development in
Java and also to introduce people to task development.

In addition, the way I implemented <scriptdef> it can support nested
elements, which are potentially repeated

<scriptedTask>
    <fileset ...>
    <fileset ...>
</scriptedTask>

It is hard to support that capability with simple named parameters.

Thoughts?

Conor