ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Tulley" <JTUL...@novell.com>
Subject RE: Ant Regexp wrappers [Re: multiline mode and platform issues]
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:49:36 GMT
This might come down to one of those issues that if there was a clear
right or wrong, it would be obvious and the decision easy.  On the other
hand, since it is not easy, the consequences of the decision will not be
dire either way.

Also I think you have the dual problems of one looks better on
paper(IMHO), "regexp" - it is easier to read and tell what it is, where
the other rolls off the tongue better "regex".

I am not a contributor, but what I would suggest is to keep with the
Jakarta project of the name, "regexp".  It looks like there is also a
Jakarta regexp tag library.

That said, I just did a sucks / rules Altavista search with the
following results:   :)

name  -   Sucks   -   Rules
regex   -   2719   -   59326
regexp   -   446   -   61220

FWIW

Jeff Tulley  (jtulley@novell.com)
(801)861-5322
http://www.novell.com

>>> holtdl@yahoo.com 1/29/02 11:45:50 AM >>>
--- Stephane Bailliez <sbailliez@imediation.com> wrote:
> In Mastering Regular Expressions p. 24(O'Reilly) Jeffrey Friedl
says:

> "As you might guess, using the full phrase 'regular expression' can
get
> a bit tiring particulary in writing. Instead, I normally use
'regex'.
> It just rolls right off the tongue (it rythmes with 'FedEx') and is
> amenable to a variety of uses like 'when you regex...' "budding
> regexers', and even "regexification"*.
>
> * You might also come accross 'regexp'. I recommend eschewing this
> unpronounceable blot on english."
>
> native english people to the rescue ? speak up :)

As a native English-speaking person, I not only don't mind "regexp", I
prefer it -- if for no other reason than to lessen the possibility of
people coming up with dumb made-up words like "regexification" :)

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)