ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IntrospectionHelper request
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:58:12 GMT
On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Erik Hatcher <jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com>
wrote:

> I don't agree with that argument.  The world is stuck with Ant 1.x
> for the near future, and it certainly will live on for a while after
> Ant2 is released as well.

Agreed.

> No point in asking for other committers feedback,

Why not?

Using a reflection based implementation may have been superior over
interfaces and if it only way so that people who want to put their
stuff under GPL can use this functionality without violating their own
license 8-).

OK, seriously: I don't really follow the "pluggable attributes" use
case, as you only save yourself from typing a couple of setter - and
lose Ant's conversion service (for Files for example) as the price for
it.

Pluggable elements is a different story - of course all tasks that
want to support such pluggability could do so now with some extra
effort without needing the support you want to add to
IntrospectionHelper.

Something like

<condition>
  <usercondition classname="...">
    <classpath ... />
    <param name="..." value="..." />
  </usercondition>
</condition>

could easily be implemented without your enhancement.

What you propose just makes it simpler (and pushes part of the
responsibility from tasks to the container), but it is not as if it
would be impossible right now.

I don't have a really strong opinion here, but I'm certainly not -1 on
your changes.

> Peter's argument that it encourages committers to stick with Ant1.x
> longer doesn't really seem applicable to me.

I don't buy it either.

Stefan