ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant 1.9 & Task Packaging
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:27:11 GMT
On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Peter Donald <peter@apache.org> wrote:

> Unfortunately the best first-cut was largely ignored by ant-dev
> because it was a non-committer who submitted it.

I guess you are talking about antfarm.

AFAIR it was largely ignored because it was the third proposal to be
committed within a week and ant-dev was busy hurling **** at each
other.

I haven't looked at mutant any closer than at antfarm, so I doubt it
is a question of whether somebody is a commiter or not.  With the
exception of myrmidon (and lately mutant) the other proposals became
orphaned and their creators have lost the interest in them (well Matt
told me that our requirements list for Ant2 practically covered all
things he wanted to get to with antfarm).

> Then Stefan said he would no try to block anything unless it really
> sucked - however he wouldn't support or work on anything until it
> was ready to go.

until *he* was ready to go. 8-)

> Another way to do this (and the standard way for java applications)
> is via the JDK1.3 "Optional Packages" Specification.

Slow down a little, we are just leaving JDK 1.1 compatibility with
Ant2.

> On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 08:37, Tim Dawson wrote:
>
>> and have a separate jakarta project for the optional task
>> libraries, similar to the "taglibs" project that provides libraries
>> for extending JSP.
>
> I have campaigned for this many a time but everytime there is a
> committer that will veto it ...

And the text of the veto would be "let's have the infrastructure for
task libraries in place before we start creating new Jakarta
projects".  Which doesn't preclude anything for the future.

Stefan