ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Ant2 codebase adoption process
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 17:40:44 GMT
On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Conor MacNeill wrote:

> The obvious candidates. IMHO are myrmidon and mutant. Other candidates
> may emerge in the discussion period. I do not believe we should include
> Ant 1.x as an option but again let us discuss.

I think Ant1.x should be an option ( because that's what I would vote
for).

I'm not an active ant commiter curently, but if my vote still counts
it'll be -1 on any candidate that doesn't have a clear backward
compatibility plan built into the design - i.e it should be able to run
most existing ant tasks and provide wrappers between the new APIs and
the old ones ( like xalan compat package for example ).

> [+1] Timetable - vote on or shortly after the 6th Feb
>
> [-1] Codebase adoption is by majority approval

I don't think the vote should be on a codebase, but broken by
features/patterns ( allowing to select by vote what's best in
the 2 codbases ). This would also require the 2 codebases to provide a
clear list of 'what's different from ant1 and why' - especially in
build.xml semantic and the task interface.

Costin